Spartan Hoplite WIP (+1)

Osprey Elite Warrior Series.
Osprey Elite Warrior Series.

Well, I promised everyone I would keep them up to date on my progress with the 54mm Spartan Hoplite I had bought from Tin Soldier Miniatures.  So on Sunday I had a couple of hours free to put some more work in and this is where I currently am.

I am hoping to get some free time this week and hopefully finish by this weekend.  I am really enjoying this scale and I am pretty sure I will be painting this scale much more often now.

WIP
WIP
WIP
WIP
Advertisements

54mm 4th Century BCE Spartan Hoplite (WIP)

Osprey Elite Warrior Series.
Osprey Elite Warrior Series.

It has been a few months since my last post, I wish I could blame my distractions on either Grad School, Work or family commitments, but the truth is I have been somewhat lazy.

I recently found and purchased some 54mm models from Tin Soldiers .  I have been wanting to make the transition to larger models for some time now and decided to finally take the plunge.  The last large scale (above 28mm) model that I painted must have been more than 10 years ago, and that was for Inquisitor– you know, the 40k game with crap rules and great models.

So I decided to jump in with a unarmored Spartan Hoplite, wearing only a pilos helmet- fairly typical in the 3rd – 4th Century BCE- and before the adoption of Macedonian equipment and tactics in 225 BCE.  I guess I was inspired by the Osprey book cover.

Unpainted MiniatureThis first picture is of the unpainted, unprimed model- just the way it came out of the package.  I was impressed at the level of detail and the lack of flash or other casting imperfections that are fairly common with metal models.  The metal is rather soft- not hard like pewter, but unless you drop it, it should hold up well.  For $10 you really can’t beat the quality.

PrimedAfter some very minor touch ups with a file the model was ready to go.  The first step in painting- which any experienced modeler will tell you is actually the second step- right after clean up- is priming the model.  I didn’t do anything special, I used Armory Brand white primer straight out the can.  It covered well and brought up some of the details- which were really stunning.

I then let the model dry for a couple of days- the first couple of hours were under my heat/drying lamp.

Flesh WorkThe next step- and actually the first time I got to put a paint brush onto the model- I started with the flesh.  Now I used a 5 step process for speed, and overall effect:

#1 Paint all the flesh area(s) with your desired flesh tone.

#2 Use a dark wash (I used AP Strong Tone) and allowed it to dry.

#3 Go back and repaint all but the deepest area(s) the original flesh tone- this is a shading step.

#4 Then wash the painted areas with a thinned (50% water) mix of AP Soft Tone- and allow to completely dry.

#5 Pick out area(s) for final highlight effect using original flesh tone- it is pretty fast and quick and doesn’t require too much technical skill (like wet-blending) or knowledge with a color pallet.  I estimate my total time in the model thus far is less than 2-3 hours.

I will keep you all up to date.